Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My favorite...

My favorite (Catholic) church. St. Symon & Alena Church. It is situated at the central square of Minsk, its heart. Was built in 1910. IN the Soviet period it was used as a Museum of Cinema! I remember that when at school we had a visit there, though i can't recall anything! But when we got independence it was, i guess, one of the first church given back to the Christians. This church has a nice concert hall and meeting hall beneath, downstairs where cultural events take place. For a long time there was a Theater-of-One-Actor based there. (I wonder whether it is active yet?) I have been downstairs only once: at the reception on the Sweden's Independence Day. :)

And this is a picture of a statue in front of the church. "To defenders of God, Faith and Christianity" is written on it. If i am correct, it is an Archangel Michael.

1 comment: